24 YEARS OLD
48 POSTS
Terra
Class 4
plant wizard/ranger
Special

Guni Charani

• full name: Gunari Jai Charani
  • occupation: in the daylight: more or less couch-surfing indefinitely, resident gypsy handiman, casual park service ranger/employee, son of an underground railroad helper
    In the night-time: definitely doesn't wanna moonlight as a plant wizard vigilante
  • power/class: terra/4

appearance

• face claim: Cole Sprouse
  • height: 5'11"
  • tattoos: sixteen spoke wheel (Roma wheel), artemis tattoo to cover biopsy scar, too many small ones to list
  • piercings: ears
  • scars: lung biopsy scar (mid-back, follows the lower edge of the right shoulder blade)

relationships

• sexuality: pan
  • relationship status: single
  • current partner: n/a, it's just Guni and the plants.
  • parents: Mirela Charani & estranged father
  • siblings: Qetsiyah (twin), Noah Erikkson (estranged)
  • children: n/a

health

• physical ailments: resting bitch face, painfully left-handed, lung scarring (pulmonary fibrosis) from childhood TB
  • mental ailments: self righteous, paradoxically speaks in questions so he never has to answer anything
  • allergies: n/a
  • addictions: alienating people, probably
  • smoking: would probably die
  • drinking: occasionally
  • drug use: acid once, and never ever again. Weed is okay, but ill-advised. (He's a talker).

I FOUND EVERYTHING I NEEDED

right beneath my skin

Gunari was born in an over-cast May to Mirela Charani and Luca Jofranka - transients by legal definition and proud Romani by all others. Arriving ten minutes behind his twin sister Qetsiyah, Guni became the youngest of a broken family of high-level Specials and Romani leaders. To carve out a place for himself he grew up fast and sensible, voiding the chemical lights of crowded shopping centres for the painted wagons and bonfires of their Roma camp. By the time he was nine and celebrating his birthday in a traditional bow-top vardo, he'd blossomed into a free-spirited if not stuffy kid with mediocre table manners and a competitive spirit that alienated him from his peers.

Their community was more of an extended family: a self-sustaining microcosm of a dozen or so gilded caravans and RVs. What they didn't make or build for themselves they earned and bought the old-fashioned way, not by sleight of hand but through the selling of hand-made goods, not through threats but the provision of trade-services. They were never burdened by the weight of breath-taking amounts of money. Rather, Mirela - a telepath stronger than she'd allowed Enforcers to know - made ends meet with varying degrees of showmanship and faux-fortune-telling, in addition to flexing her other skills.

Their richness wasn't the cold hard cash kind. It was drowsy spring days and road-travel and camp-sites so similar, so familiar, that they blurred into some kind of identical home-stay. It was waking up to snow-fall and twin siblings with complementary natures and long-talks on caravan door-steps. It was early-morning rises and fanning away Mirela's tobacco clouds and falling asleep before the dusk, sun-burnt and wrapped up in a hand-sewn throw blanket. It wasn't a post-card life, or a four-bed-two-bath in West-side suburbia, but it was bright and distinctive like a French quarter hotel.

MY HANDS ARE DIRTY AND MY SHOES ARE THIN

SHOULD KNOW BY NOW, THAT'S THE BUSINESS I'M IN

When Qetsiyah discovered her power it was that of a Morpher's, the ability to switch faces. When Guni discovered his, it was in a barren clearing following a storm-front, where he grew a square-foot patch of wilted corn-crop to its former glory. Hardly all that impressive. He was ten: twice as old as his brother Noah had been when he'd been removed from his mother's life by child protective services - one more strike on the tally-board for anti-Special and anti-gypsy prejudice.

That his mother had lost a child didn't occur to Guni until he was older: and then it seemed obvious.

Mirela had a way about her; sometimes it was a stuck look, a wistfulness, and a wariness. In hindsight, the caution she exercised and the sporadic bursts of over-protectiveness and the hard-and-fast rules of no stealing made perfect sense. As Guni lilted into his teenage years, he took his new-found understanding with him, and made a concerted effort to tamp himself down into something more reticent. And safe. For everyone's sake.

drawn and quartered out

The more you hurt, the more you heal, the more you'll figure out

In hindsight, the first sign was the fatigue. He was freshly sixteen, attending an inner-city highschool and falling asleep on the bus home. He loathed the chrome and glass office towers, liked the RV his mother had gifted him, and to get away from the bustle of Roma life had taken to simply falling asleep in a deck chair whenever put on baby-sitting duty. That her children be educated was important to Mirela, and important to Guni who, while easily distracted by scenery and barely tolerant of being made to read aloud, was too ardently competitive to quit.

At first he thought it was the full-time school workload, but then time shaved weight off of his still-growing frame and over-eating was a one way ticket to a trash-bag filled with vomit. Some autumnal cough stuck fast, and come the winter just rolling over in the bed of his RV had his breath rattling around like tin-cans. It wasn’t until he was calf-deep in a snowy range, struggling up a slope, and trying to suck in breaths that just weren’t coming that he realised the problem - coughing into his arm saw his jacket sleeve come away with pulpy blood.

In the old tales they called it consumption. In the new age they called it miliary tuberculosis; bacterial, nasty. It had since spread by lung to blood and on from there to other pockets of his body. After the first short-course of anti-biotics failed, genetic testing on a biopsy sample revealed that he’d contracted not one but two major strains of Mycobacteria - the latter multi-drug resistant. He resumed a new course of anti-biotics for twenty months of sporadic hospital stays, ventilators, and intubations.

It saved his life, but not his lungs. There was no available healer: the TB left him with the kind of fibrosis tracts that’d make a grown radiologist weep. So complete was the lung scarring that each retained less than half of it’s original function; his maximum forced exhalation volume was little more than a crackling wheeze. A trip to the shower was a team effort; a trip down some stairs madet him blue-lipped. Among the others of their community, he felt like a leper. The medication had him blinking back orange tears, but considering some 30% of patients at his stage had ceased breathing and taking medication at all, Guni was grateful enough. Just not very.

Too much sun, milk, and honey

Is all that I really got

Returning to normalcy was a hard slog; Guni took to online school with vigor, sat his final exams the year following after filling in the gaps being ill had made in his patchy education. With a highschool certificate, and after completing training, he went on to earn a diploma in Wildlife and Forestry Conservation. For Guni it was more or less a no-brainer; by making himself at least a little useful to local park ranger services he could use his powers with impunity to assist in search and rescues and perform routine grounds and trails maintenance. The discrete, consultancy basis suited him too, leaving time for other activities like rolling his eyes at his Daj’s freshly revived protective streak, getting involved in Roma micro-politics, whittling plant-life into furniture and other tchotchkes, and hunting game.

WORKIN' HARD JUST TO STAY ALIVE

I DON'T NEED MUCH, JUST ENOUGH TO SURVIVE

Guni still totes around a belt-full of inhalers and relies on just the one drug to reduce inflammation and suppress his immune system, but he very rarely requires oxygen therapy. He and his family still haven’t stopped looking for their lost son and brother. And with his long-lived distrust of Enforcers and interest in establishing himself as a future Romani leader, Guni isn’t beyond pursuing peaceful bands of the resistance to make himself useful. Hell, he isn't even beyond pursuing more vigilante brands of justice to begin setting to rights some of the wrongs committed against his people. First things first, Guni is out to provide a better life for his family; so if he disappears for hours a night and returns a little worse for wear, who's gonna notice?

PERSONALITY

BUCK WILD, HONEY CHILD, AIN’T A LINE THAT I WON’T CROSS

The Roma aren’t a land-bound, cluttered people; and Guni isn’t an outwardly complicated person. He goes to bed with the going down of the sun and rises with the dawn birds. He plays the sensible straightman to his diverse family. He’s serene to the side of solemn; straight-laced to the side of beleaguered; and has an affinity for concrete-thinking, problem-solving, and mulishness. Consider Guni the bulwark between you and a wildly good time: even though he's playful and easy-going, he’s still the painfully sober wet blanket at a wedding celebration, guiding alcohol out of the reach of more impressionable teenagers and playing mediator in domestic disputes.

While a little young to be as paternal as he is, he’s got Charani blood and with it a strong sense of duty; the members of the caravan are as much a part of him as a bough is to the trunk of a tree--if he’s not trying to corral the caravan children, he’s thinking about them while installing a solar panel for one of their mothers. Solo pursuits are how he stays sane. Like most Roma, he cut his teeth on handiwork, but takes special interest in surveying, deerhunting, and wood-working figurines out of wood-blocks. His penchant for self-isolation makes him, at best, a sometimes stilted speaker and an awkward friend; at worst, it makes him a little dense to social etiquette, aloof, and self-absorbed.

But throw him into the pan and he’ll spit. The only authorities he respects as absolute are his matriarch of a mother and death. He’s not overly tolerant of outsiders and, while he prides himself on being pragmatic, tends to be plain reactionary. He’s not passive aggressive so much as aggressive aggressive; he’s just a big stick of dynamite with a short fuse obfuscating as a much longer one. Deep inside his chest he’s a hot-blooded utilitarian – manipulative in his pursuit of his supposed ideals because the ends (usually) justify the means.

He doesn’t just eschew violence and crime because he’s averse morally, but because it’s boring and predictable. His distaste of Enforcers is pathological, not rational, and his moral compass doesn’t sing as true to North as he thinks it does. Instead, he vacillates between being melancholic/self-pitying and war-like. Under the deadpan surface he’s simultaneously grouchy, competitive, haughty, harsh, obnoxious, self-confident, unforgiving, skeptical, and scheming.

He could afford to live a little, but heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Mature content

• (M)/Smut: Yes, for character development, but I am only new to the world so be gentle with me, friends
  • Triggers: none that I know of
  • Limits: OOC stuff, we'll see

Friends

Despite being relatively insular and pre-occupied with all things Romani and pro-Special justice, if someone was to persist they'd probably find Guni easy to get along with, just hard to get to know. He's not an impenetrable rock so much as he is an uninspiring, eerie one; he tends to fall in to the trap of both daydreaming and keeping to himself, and has a laissez faire attitude to most things in life, including friendship.

That said, Guni's a good actor. He can turn on charm and chutzpah and doesn't hold many prejudices beyond a distaste for Enforcers and a predilection for people who share his views. He's not good at communicating his deeper thoughts and feelings, but he is sharp, so his true friends are likely to receive undying loyalty and tokens of his gratitude in the form of whittled wooden figurines or flowers or sarcasm.

Don't expect apologies or gratuitous affection unless you're a tree and/or child, but do expect to be sunken in a sink-hole if you're an asshole and welcomed into a wider Romani family if you're kind or in need.

Enemies

Considering that his older brother Noah was taken from his family as a child, Guni has well-attended but strong feelings about Enforcers. Strong I will destroy everything you love feelings. He's not much of a fan of supremely privileged people or injustices, and is paternal/intrusive enough to feel personally affected by the plights of others, so really he could get on anyone's nerves and be annoyed by a variety of people, no matter their political leanings.

Since he's not afraid of flexing his powers to get the job done, I can see him finding trouble easily.

Also people shouldn't touch his sister. Or brother.

Lovers

Guni's been in two long-term relationships that ended in flames and is easy-going with casual sex, but a bulwark when it comes to anything serious. In part, that's because he doesn't understand any cues other than painfully aggressive flirting. He's never really had to pursue someone for attention; it's just been delivered to him with a complimentary fruit basket and a clue bat. He's big on family, so whoever wants to bite that bullet would have to deal with the rigmarole that comes with Guni living in an RV for the most part, having a twin sister, and being exposed to buckets of drama.

Active Threads

Into the Wild with Eilis
Are there trolls under there? with Mae
Mama's Home with Mirela & Siyah
Somethin' Bad with Ro
Walking on sunshine with Chase

Inactive Threads

Lost Girl Kelly
Reunion with Siyah & Noah
title with name
title with name

Pockets . GMT+10 . discord Pockets#7272

name & guni

Plot here. Please reply in the other character's shipper so everyone gets some love. Do not reply to your own shipper.

CODE
[dohtml]<div class="n-sea"><h1>name & guni</h1><div class="n-p-main">

Plot here. Please reply in the other character's shipper so everyone gets some love. Do not reply to your own shipper.

</div><center><div style="padding-top: 15px; font-size: 13px; font-weight: 800; text-transform: uppercase;">

<a href="LINKTOYOURPLOTTER" target="_blank">reply</a>

</div></center></div>[/dohtml]
PM
^
TARA
 Posted: Feb 7 2017, 09:22 AM
Tara
32 YEARS OLD
412 POSTS
supermom
Class 5
everything
Admin

accepted

+ welcome to Code 8
Please don't forget to post in the face claim, member directory, and power claim. We look forward to seeing you around the site!
-code 8 staff

--------------------
poke me if you need anything! sig code credits go to brooklyn of caution.
if you hurt me you hurt yourself don't hurt yourself
PMEmail
^
ROSEL SILVIA
 Posted: Apr 3 2017, 01:01 PM
Ro, Harbinger
27 YEARS OLD
292 POSTS
Kinetic
Class 4
Blackmail
Special

ro & guni

Hello! Yes, I’d love to do something with you!

For Gunari, I definitely agree that Ro could use him as an aide for any sticky situations she gets in. She hasn’t gotten caught by the law yet and hasn’t been truly pursued by anyone to end her little blackmail game, but that’s really only out of a stroke of luck that she’s managed to keep a pretty tight hold on things. Maybe she starts poking around the Special Underground (to see if she can help in any way) and runs upon him, they get to talking, and they realize they could be allies and help the Underground along further.

Or, Rosel could have finally gotten into a situation that she can’t get out of. She’s been injured before and beaten up, but she always managed to get away. Maybe the Underground has been keeping tabs on her for future purposes and gets wind of one of her ‘clients’ scheming to kill her off. Perhaps in this instance, she’s backed into a corner and it’s not looking good, and Guni comes to her rescue? And then they get to talking, ally-ing, etc. Thoughts? @POCKETS

PM
^
ROSEL SILVIA
 Posted: May 25 2017, 09:54 AM
Ro, Harbinger
27 YEARS OLD
292 POSTS
Kinetic
Class 4
Blackmail
Special

Ro & Guni

Hello! RO WOULD LOVE TO THREAD WITH GUNI, AND ITS TOTALLY OKAY TO BE SLOW. TAKE YA TIME.

I am still super into Guni swooping in and​ saving her from some goons. And I also really love your noticeboard idea because they both definitely have the shrewd/suspicious faces going on. Plus, dear Rosel has no way of actually seeing the board and the sketchy things posted on it, so I sense some teamwork there. The little investigation duo. Having a set of functional eyes to help snoop and sort things out sure would be fabulous and she'd be eager to help him.

Since we've talked, Ro has been signed up to be manipulated into @LEGION's Samuel's army of not-so-peaceful resistance peoples. Maybe further down the line that could cause some tension of sorts? Regardless, she'll be conflicted having to work around both..

And I think this is all that much better because Debby Ryan and Cole Sprouse are friends IRL. Them Disney stars gotta stick together. @POCKETS

PM
^
Mirela Charani
 Posted: Jun 21 2017, 07:52 PM
Rela
48 YEARS OLD
32 POSTS
Telepath
Class 5
Criminal
Special

daj & čabo

I have needs. Especially when she gets back from New York and thinks she was called back because he was in the hospital again. She'll fawn over him. Make his favorite food. Ask if there are any new girls in his life. The usual.  
PM
^
Chase Galloway
 Posted: Aug 1 2017, 04:29 PM
Chase
24 YEARS OLD
41 POSTS
Healer
Class 1
Driver
Special

Chase & Guni

• Look. Abs.
• Let me help you breathe.
• Mae's making tofu tacos again. Let's go out.
• Mr. Kurtz was not as hot as you think he was.
• I found moonshine. Let's drink it.
• Let me into your treehouse.
• Your mom is a witch and she frightens me.
• Yes, I did mention that you had a wide mouth.
• That's definitely not your brother. I'll give him papercuts for you.

Now that that's out of the way, I need it all. All of it. Whenever either of us actually has time for another thread.  

PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Specials | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Add Reply

special
enforcer
human
males
females
non binary
totals

affiliates
resources
RPG-D
static
VECTOR we are warriors Rise of the Believers X-Generation: X-Men Roleplay

Δrk City wizarding realm we are the strays avalon: a panfandom rp real angst never tires

demon realm ACADEMY X affiliate with us! affiliate with us! affiliate with us! affiliate with us! affiliate with us!

scrolling
heart[♥]sigh incredible a noncanon persona rp Lochland Grove affiliate with us!